Thursday, January 6, 2011

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman



Last night I stayed up too late (only midnight, but, I'm feeling pretty sick) ... but, I HAD to, I could not stop reading this fantastic book by Neil Gaiman (quickly climbing the ranks of my favorite authors) ... I recently read American Gods by Gaiman, and LOVED it ... When I started Neverwhere I was hoping to like it, oh, half as much as American Gods and I'd be happy ... little did I know that I would like it MORE.

Neil Gaiman has an incredible way of taking real places and adding "fantasy" elements to them ... the whole premise of the book is that there is a city under London that is filled with Rat-Speakers, people with magical abilities, Sewer Folk, and a whole host of interesting and diverse characters ... once you "pass over" to this city, if you go up to "London Above" (present day London) no one will notice you unless you scream in someones face, but, most likely, they'll forget all about you in a matter of minutes ... interesting concept and wonderfully executed ... so, the story begins with an average London dweller, leading an average life, when all of a sudden he becomes invisible to those around him and learns of "London Below", and goes on a quest to find out who killed the family of a girl named Door, who can open doors and transport pretty much anywhere ... TONS of stuff happens, several different plot threads weaving together at once beautifully ... and, in the end, just a fantastic and enjoyable read!

Definitely worth your time! ... next, I continue my Neil Gaiman obsession by reading his graphic novel series "The Sandman".

that's all i got ...

No comments:

Post a Comment