Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Smith Westerns - Dye it Blonde / The Decemberists - The King is Dead


Smith Westerns - Dye it Blonde: This super young band (all the members are between 18 and 20) makes me feel ridiculously unaccomlished in life. "Dye it Blonde" is their second album, but the only one I've listened to so far. I just listened to this for the first time on the way to work and, it's really great! Especially if you like T. Rex. Lot's of influence by T. Rex for sure. I think this will most likely grow into a favorite of the year for me.



The Decemberists - The King is Dead: The Decemberists have been such a tricky band. We have a real HISTORY together. At one time, I was infatuated with them. They were probably my favorite band for a lot of College. I bought all of their albums and EPs (pre- The Crane Wife) and listened to them all the time. Then, The Crane Wife came along, and it was alright. I really liked it at first, but, each time I listened I liked it less and less. I started to realize the faults in the band, and they seemed as if they were starting to become over bloated. Then all my worst fears were realized on their album The Hazards of Love. Man, it's really terrible. So, a while ago I heard that they were coming out with a new album in 2011 and realized I didn't really care. I heard from friends that it wasn't terrible, it was a mellow kinda alt-country album. I began to hope that maybe I could get into these guys again. However, after listening to this album a few times, all I can say is: it's not terrible, it's not great, it's alright, but, I don't really care about it. It's just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment